Plasma Melting Facility at Bulgaria's NPP Kozloduy Starts Operations - EBRD

Plasma Melting Facility at Bulgaria's NPP Kozloduy Starts Operations - EBRD

A new plasma melting facility at Bulgaria's nuclear power plant (NPP) Kozloduy has started operations, following a 31 million euro ($36.3 million) investment, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development said on Tuesday. Using plasma technology, the facility will significantly reduce the volume of low- and intermediate-level radioactive waste from NPP Kozloduy's four units in decommissioning and its two operational units, the EBRD said in a statement. The facility, which will be operated by the State Enterprise Radioactive Waste (SERAW), has a capacity of up to 250 tonnes per year. The technology allows for treatment of waste with a minimum risk of radioactive contamination, the EBRD said. The EBRD-managed Kozloduy International Decommissioning Support Fund (KIDSF) financed 65% of the project, while Bulgaria provided the remaining 35%.Spain's Iberdrola Ingeniería y Construcción was the project's engineering company, while Belgium's Belgoprocess acted as the process provider.

Previous Next
Test Caption
Test Description goes like this
Cookies Preferences
Choose Type of Cookies You Accept Using

These cookies are required for the website to run and cannot be switched off. Such cookie are only set in response to actions made by you such as language, currency, login session, privacy preferences. You can set your browser to block these cookies but our site may not work then.

These cookies allow us to measure visitors traffic and see traffic sources by collecting information in data sets. They also help us understand which products and actions are more popular than others.

These cookies are usually set by our marketing and advertising partners. They may be used by them to build a profile of your interest and later show you relevant ads. If you do not allow these cookies you will not experience targeted ads for your interests.