Last newsHBCB NewsIn focusPoliticsEconomySpotlight from GreeceSpotlight from CyprusMember NewsHronia polla!NewsletterSubscribe to HBCB newsletterUnsubscribe
Follow HBCB on Linkedin
INTERVIEW - Bulgaria's Sofia Airport Concession Tender Brings Transparency to the Fore
10 07 2019The process for awarding a 35-year concession contract to run Bulgaria’s Sofia Airport will move a step forward in the next week or two when the best bidder among five candidates is expected to be announced, a leading economist said on Tuesday."For the first time perhaps Bulgaria, in the face of the transport ministry, is conducting a serious and transparent concession competition for such a grand piece of infrastructure," Krassen Stanchev, an associate professor of macroeconomic analysis of policies and public choice theory at Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski, told SeeNews in an interview.The financial proposals will have 55% weight in the overall score but the devil is buried in the technicalities of the offers, each of them presented on 400 to 600 pages. The review of the offers shall determine the value of the remaining 45%. This peculiarity of the tender process originally gave grounds for scepticism, noted Stanchev, a former еxecutive director of Sofia-based economic policy think-tank Institute for Market Economics.